Come and experience the hills lifestyle: the bush, and clean fresh air. We are only 2 minutes from the Mundaring town centre, and close to Little Caesar’s and the Mundaring Weir Hotel. A local shuttle service is available if you need transport to a venue.
The accommodation is set in a semi-rural environment and is comfortable, exudes character and is a sustainable living experience. The buildings were built with the use of local and recycled materials including timber milled on site, and the property showcases sustainability in action.
Enjoy the sounds and smells of the bush with a leisurely walk along the heritage railway walk trail, adjacent to the property, or just unwind and relax. Sit on the back verandah and watch the breezes flow through the giant bamboo and listen to the local bird life.
Your hosts, Ross and Jenny, will ensure your stay will be memorable. Pick your own fruit and vegetables in our organic gardens and orchards, when these are available.
Features of buildings
- Passive solar design – energy efficient living
- Strawbale construction – load-bearing walls, high insulation (R value = 9)
- 1 kW grid-connected photovoltaic system – visible monitoring of electricity production
- Rainwater tank – plumbed to house fixtures, with mains water back-up
- Greywater system – irrigates nearby gardens and trees
- Klaro aerated treatment unit for wastewater
- Recycled timber windows, doors, frames, kitchen bench
- Extensive use of salvaged materials such as some furniture, light fittings and internal wall insulation
- Energy efficient lighting
- Solar hot water system – evacuated tube technology, circulation pump and LPG boosted for Quenda Cottage
- Heat exchange HWS (Heat pump) with solar panel pre-heating for Boobook Cottage
- Bottled (LPG) gas for cooking
- Casement windows for capturing breezes
- Claw-foot bathtub (Quenda)
- Exposed aggregate for verandahs
- Bamboo flooring (sustainable timber)
- Brushwood fencing for courtyard
- On-site milled timber for verandah posts and railings
- Integrated roof panels – ceiling, insulation and roof sheeting all-in-one
- Best practice drip irrigation for landscaped areas
- Rescued plants
Features of accommodation
- All linen supplied
- Cooking facilities, including stove, microwave
- CD Player
- DVD/VHS Player
- Selection of VHS and DVD movies and documentaries
- Refrigerator, with small freezer
- Digital TV in lounge room (and main bedroom Quenda Cottage)
- Iron, ironing board
- Amazing wildlife – bandicoots live on the property, as do many species of birds. Walk to see kangaroos.
- Internet available – wireless (cable connect available in adjacent building)
- Bicycles available for the adjoining rail trail.
- Late check out upon request.
- Queen sized bed in main bedroom
- Two single beds for second bedroom
- Queen sized bed in single bedroom
- Double fold-out bed in lounge room
Washing machine and dryer available in adjacent building. Sorry, we regret no pets. The buildings are also smoke-free zones.